Retin-A cream/medication should be applied every other evening before going to bed for the first 2 to 3 weeks, slowly increasing to every evening. This cream helps prepare your skin for the chemical peel and is believed to aid with the healing process after the peel. It is not unusual to experience some mild tingling and irritation during the first few weeks.
If you are experiencing a burning sensation, or the skin appears to be cracking, discontinue Retin-A for 2 evenings and apply moisturizer to the irritated areas. You may resume using Retin-A when your skin is feeling and looking better. It is important to moisturize your skin in the morning as well as using a good SPF sunscreen.
Please feel free to call us if irritation persists. (512) 401-2500
Directions for applying Retin-A:
- Wash your face thoroughly with a mild soap or gentle alcohol-free cleanser and pat dry (do not rub).
- After washing, wait at least 10 minutes before applying Retin-A to be certain that the skin is totally dry. Skin that is wet, damp, or even moist tends to absorb cream quickly, which may cause unnecessary irritation.
- After your face is totally dry, squeeze a pearl-sized amount (about a ¼” diameter) of Retin-A onto your fingertip. Using more than a pearl-sized amount will not increase your results and may cause irritation.
- Dab it on your forehead, chin, and both cheeks but not immediately under your eyes.
- Pat your skin so the small dabs begin to spread into a thin layer that covers your entire face. Smooth into skin until all white streaks have disappeared.
- After applying Retin-A, you may apply a moisturizer. However, for best results, wait one hour in between if possible.
Hydroquinone is a skin-bleaching agent that is used to lighten areas of skin. Hydroquinone works by decreasing the production and increasing the breakdown of melanosomes in melanocytes. In most cases, lightening of skin should be seen after four weeks of treatment. Stop using Hydroquinone 2 days prior to any procedure.
Directions for applying Hydroquinone:
- Apply Hydroquinone
- Apply Moisturizer and eye cream
- Apply SPF
- Make-up may be applied
- Cleanse – let dry at least 10 minutes
- Apply Retin-A
- Apply Hydroquinone
- Apply eye cream only