Have you been wishing that you could regain your youthful glow? You might think that plastic surgery alone can banish wrinkles and tighten sagging skin. Fortunately, cosmetic technology has advanced so much in recent years that it’s no longer necessary to turn to surgery if you don’t want to. While non-surgical treatments may not provide the same results as a facelift, eyelid lift or forehead lift, people with mild to moderate wrinkles and sagging skin can get incredible results using non-invasive procedures. So what are the secrets to non-surgical rejuvenation? Read on for some great options that will fit into your busy lifestyle!
Wrinkles & Folds
- The fix: Botox & fillers
- How they work: Some wrinkles are caused by repetitive facial movements like laughing, frowning, or smiling. These wrinkles are called “dynamic” wrinkles. They can be temporarily eased with injectables like Botox, which limit the movement of these facial muscles. Other wrinkles are formed by the loss of volume in the face. These deeper folds won’t be affected by Botox, but they can be treated with injectable fillers made of hyaluronic acid. These fillers are temporary (though they usually last longer than Botox), filling in lost volume for a more youthful appearance.
Facial Volume Loss
- The fix: Fillers
- How it works: Fillers are an incredibly versatile treatment. They’re generally formulated from hyaluronic acid, the substance in the skin that lends volume to the skin, along with collagen. Some fillers like Juvederm Voluma XC are formulated to restore lost volume that can give the face a gaunt, aged appearance. Voluma can help restore volume and lift in the cheeks—no surgery required. Even better, it can last for up to two years.
- The fix: Laser treatments
- How it works: Collagen begins to break down as we age. At the same, production of new collagen slows considerably. Collagen is an essential structural protein that gives skin its youthful suppleness and firmness. As collagen depletion occurs, the skin begins to droop and sag. Laser treatments work by precisely delivering energy to the skin so that the damaged skin cells can be destroyed, allowing new cells to take their place. The heat of the laser also encourages new collagen formation, which subtly tightens the skin and reduces sagging. However, for moderate to severe sagging, laser treatments may not be able to produce adequate results.
- The fix: Photorejuvenation/Intense Pulsed Light
- How it works: The sun is one of our skin’s most dangerous threats. Repeated exposure can cause skin cancer, premature aging, and brown spots. Brown spots are areas of the skin with increased melanin, a response from the skin trying to protect itself from the sun. Intense Pulsed Light treatments target unwanted pigmentation within the skin. The light destroys the pigment and allows the body to dispose of it naturally. This treatment can be used on the face, chest, and hands to get rid of “age spots”.
- The fix: Fillers
- How it works: Because the lips are a high movement area of the face, special hyaluronic fillers are now on the market for lip rejuvenation and enhancement. Fillers look and feel very natural in the lip area. They can be used to erase lines, add volume, and restore youth to the lips.
- The fix: Laser treatments
- How it works: Laser treatments are extremely versatile. They prompt the body’s own natural anti-aging processes to kick into high gear. The energy encourages the body to create new collagen and elastin. This helps to normalize hyperpigmentation and sun damage, erase fine lines and wrinkles, and improve overall skin texture and tone.
Depending on your needs, a single procedure may not get you the comprehensive rejuvenation you’re looking for. The good news is that it’s very common to combine treatments for custom anti-aging results! You and your plastic surgeon will discuss your goals during a consultation, and you’ll get recommendations on which treatments will work best for your individual needs. Everyone is different. What’s right for one person might not be right for another. Only you and your surgeon can make the decision about what’s best for your needs.
If you’re looking for an expert you can trust, come to Buckingham Center in Austin, TX, to meet with acclaimed board certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Edward Buckingham. Dr. Buckingham focuses solely on the aesthetics of the face. Using his extensive experience and knowledge, he will devise a perfect treatment plan to help you achieve your aesthetic goals. If you’re ready to start looking and feeling younger with or without surgery, call 512-401-2500 today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Buckingham.