Doctors Edward Buckingham and Erin Smith offer Lip Lift solutions for patients in Austin & Sunset Valley, TX. Everyone wants to have a beautiful and expressive mouth with a gorgeous smile. If you remember having full and shapely lips when you were younger, now may be the time to recapture that youthful look. As we age the upper lip tends to elongate and the pink portion of the lip becomes deflated. A lip lift in Austin, TX can restore the lip aesthetics you want with a permanent solution that can replace or enhance the results of lip fillers. Dr. Edward D. Buckingham is a respected Austin plastic surgeon who specializes in the lip lift technique.
What is a Lip Lift?
A lip lift is a cosmetic procedure that lifts the upper lip and pulls it up and back. The procedure is designed to shorten the amount of skin between your lip and your nose by placing an inconspicuous incision at the base of the nose and removing a small amount of skin. The goal is to emphasize and enhance the pink part of the lip and shorten the skin between the pink lip and the nose restoring a more youthful aesthetic.
A lip lift gives a slightly pushed-up and fuller look to the lip. It makes the mouth look more proportional and youthful without any filler. A lip lift is also called a bullhorn lift, an Italian lift, or a gullwing lift. It’s a simple yet effective plastic surgery that gives you permanent results.
- What is a Lip Lift?
- Why Would You Need a Lip Lift?
- What Are the Benefits of a Lip Lift?
- What About Fillers?
- Why You Should Get a Lip Lift in Austin, TX
- Who is a Good Candidate for a Lip Lift?
- What Does the Lip Lift Procedure Involve?
- Your Results After a Lip Lift
- Are You Interested in Getting a Lip Lift in Austin, TX?
Why Would You Need a Lip Lift?
As you age, your upper lip starts to pull downward and droop. This causes the space between your nose and top lip to become longer, resulting in a tired, aged look to your mouth.
Over time, you’ll notice that your whole smile has changed. Your teeth don’t show because the upper lip has drooped down to cover them. The corners of the mouth may not move up like they once did.
Some patients mistakenly think that these changes mean they need fillers in their lips. You might need fillers, but a lip lift might be an option as well. A lip lift fixes age-related lip sagging by shortening the space between your nose and your top lip. This causes the center of your upper lip to lift slightly, exposing the tips of your teeth and moving the corners of your mouth upward.
Not sure if a lip lift is right for you? Try this:
Put your finger under your top lip and push it up slightly. Immediately, you’ll see your face get a lifted, youthful look. As the pink part of the upper lip elongates, you’ll also notice some of your lip lines fading away. The lip lift technique creates this lifted look permanently.
What Are the Benefits of a Lip Lift?
- Lifted, more full upper lip with a natural pout
- Enhanced lips that look naturally full
- A quick procedure with a speedy recovery
- Out-patient surgery with little downtime
- Long-lasting results
- Fewer wrinkles around the lip area
- A beautiful smile that shows your teeth
- An enhanced cupid-bow curve for a youthful look
What About Fillers?
Dermal fillers are excellent for adding volume and plumping up the lips. However, as you are probably well aware, some women are living with puffy, overdone “duck lips.” That’s because they had fillers injected when what they needed first was a lip lift.
If you only inject filler into the lip without doing anything to lift the top lift first, the filler has nowhere to go but out. If you inject filler into a lip that’s lifted, it can add plumpness for an even more pronounced pout. Without the lift, the filler just pops out and creates an artificial, inflated look.
Why You Should Get a Lip Lift in Austin, TX
A lip lift is a specialized procedure. Not every facial or plastic surgeon knows how to perform one correctly. Many are not knowledgeable about the ideal lip lift technique and rely on fillers or other ineffective approaches to creating youthful lips. When you have this procedure performed by a lip lift specialist in Austin like Dr. Buckingham, you can achieve great results that look totally natural.
Best of all, if you do decide to get fillers after a lip lift, you can do so knowing that your fillers will make your lips look beautiful and sexy the way they should.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Lip Lift?
A lip lift is a great choice if you:
- Want fuller lips but don’t want to use fillers
- Have an elongated upper cutaneous lip
- Have lips that are too thin
- Would like to regain the youthful pout your mouth once had
- Plan to get fillers but want to avoid having duck lips
What Does the Lip Lift Procedure Involve?
The procedure takes about an hour. After you have been given local anesthesia, your plastic surgeon makes an incision just below your nose and removes a small piece of skin from the area. The doctor then folds up the skin up to ensure the incision is closed.
At this point, the upper cutaneous upper lip (the part between the nose and the pink lip) will be shortened and the pink lip will be lifted and enhanced. The surgeon then shapes your top lip to enhance its cupid-bow look.
A week after the procedure, you will return to see your surgeon. This is when your sutures are removed and your doctor can see the progress of your lip lift. At this point, the swelling should have gone down and any bruising will have faded.
Your Results After a Lip Lift
After about three months, you’ll be able to see the full results your lip lift procedure. Your lip lift surgeon in Austin will determine how well you’re healing. You’ll also discuss whether or not you’ve achieved your desired results.
This is also a good time to consider whether you’d like to pursue further lip augmentation with fillers.
Are You Interested in Getting a Lip Lift in Austin, TX?
If you’re interested in moving forward with this surgery, your next step is to set up a consultation with a lip lift specialist in Austin. At Buckingham Center, you’ll get detailed information about what to expect from the procedure. You’ll also have the chance to see the results that Dr. Buckingham and Dr. Smith was able to give their former lip lift patients.
A lip lift is an exciting procedure that can give you back your youthful smile. To learn more, contact our office in Austin, TX to schedule a consultation.
Why to Choose Buckingham Center
About Dr. Buckingham
- B.B.A. in Accounting from Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
- Completed his pre-medical coursework achieving a perfect 4.0 grade point average at the University of Texas in Austin.
- Received his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.
- He was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society as a junior medical student and served as the organization’s vice-president and later president.
- Graduating medical school in the top 2% of the class with highest honors, Dr. Buckingham received the Donald Duncan Memorial Scholarship in Anatomy, the Edward Randall Medal for Academic Excellence, and the Merck Manual Award.
- He then performed a general surgery internship and Otolaryngology residency at UTMB and was a nominee for the UTMB overall-outstanding resident.
- Additionally, he served as president of the UTMB House Officer Association and served two years on the Graduate Medical Education Advisory Committee and Executive Committee.
About Dr. Smith
- Dr. Smith completed her undergraduate education at the University of Mississippi with a double major in Biochemistry and Psychology.
- She completed a Masters in Science in Neuroscience from Tulane University in New Orleans, LA.
- Received her Medical Degree from the University of Mississippi School of Medicine, where she graduated in the top 5%.
- She then went on to complete a rigorous 5-year Head & Neck Surgery residency program at the University of Mississippi Medical Center where she served as Chair of the Chief Resident Council.
- Also, she was appointed as the resident member of the Facial Plastic and Reconstruction Education Committee for the American Academy of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery Society.
- She treated patients from all over the world and gained expertise in facial paralysis surgery, primary and revision rhinoplasty, face and neck lift, lip lift, eyelid and eyebrow surgery, and skin cancer reconstruction.
- Dr. Smith has authored numerous peer-reviewed journal publications and book chapters and has presented her work at medical meetings across the country.