Your skin is your largest organ, and it protects all of your body’s other systems from the harsh elements and other environmental factors. Because of this, having an effective custom skin care routine is one of the most important ways you can take care of both your physical appearance and your health. Clear and glowing skin reflects a person’s state of health and vibrancy. Facial plastic surgeon Dr. Edward D. Buckingham and his staff at Buckingham Center for Facial Plastic Surgery in Austin, TX believe that every person possesses both inner beauty and external beauty. We recognize each patient as an individual and take their unique skin care needs and goals into account so that we can help them develop a skin care plan that encourages optimal skin health and beauty long-term.
Skin Care Products We Use
At Buckingham Center for Facial Plastic Surgery, we use and recommend to our patients some of the most highly researched and renowned care lines on the market, including Skin Medica, Revision Skin Care, and Elta MD. The science of skin care has come a long way in the past decade and these skin care lines have proven to be safe and highly effective at treating and preventing fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, skin texture and tone, and acne scarring.
Every person’s skin naturally changes over time in response to stress and environmental factors. Skin Medica was developed by skin biologists and formulation scientists who are continually innovating ways to meet a range of skin care needs as they change. Skin Medica products treat photodamage, age spots, acne-prone skin, dry skin, normal to dry skin and normal to oily skin. Buckingham Center for Facial Plastic Surgery carries the full line of Skin Medica products.
When working with our licensed professionals, you can achieve healthy, glowing skin with Skin Medica’s revolutionary skin care product lines customized to your unique skin needs. Almost twenty years of research has been put into formulating these advanced products and with the help of a licensed professional, individuals can determine exactly what their skin needs and seamlessly incorporate this product line into a daily regimen.
Skin Medica was founded by doctors and is deeply rooted in science. Research and clinical data are of extreme importance when creating products for the skin. SkinMedica does not aim to provide a quick fix but instead promotes long-term skin health.
Popular products include:
- TNS Recovery Complex® – This is the first topical solution that uses a patented tissue nutrient solution, or TNS, which has been clinically proven to reduce skin discoloration and the appearance of fine lines.
- TNS Essential Serum® – This is a true powerhouse serum and it has been a part of more clinical studies than any other growth factor serum on the market. It is the ultimate multi-tasking skin rejuvenating treatment, reducing the look of fine lines and improving skin tone and texture all in one bottle.
- HA5® Rejuvenating Hydrator – Utilizing Skin Medica’s exclusive VITISENSCE™ Technology, this product includes five hydrating ingredients to smooth fine lines and wrinkles. It also aids in the skin’s ability to replenish its hyaluronic acid which supports skin health on a cellular level.
For over 25 years, EltaMD has created product lines that include sunscreen, wound healing, and skin care products that are widely used by physicians and hospitals, as well as burn centers and long and short-term care centers. EltaMD creates truly innovative products which not only protect and maintain the skin’s appearance but can effectively restore it to a healthy and youthful state.
Common Problems Skin Care Products Treat
Patients who have visible signs of aging, discoloration, acne scarring, or sensitive skin could benefit from medical-grade skin care products. Over time, collagen and elastin naturally break down and new production slows. Fine lines appear, natural cell turnover rates decrease, and skin discoloration may develop, due to many years of sun damage. This is all part of the natural aging process, however, modern science allows us to slow and reverse these visible effects of aging. Treating facial aging is possible with the help of a reputable physician and products that are proven to provide long-term skin benefits.
Another common problem patients bring to us is discoloration. Discoloration describes an area of skin that has become abnormally darkened in visible spots or patches. This excess pigment is often triggered by sun exposure, fluctuations in hormones, and injuries to the skin caused by acne or burns. Skin Medica products are formulated to treat skin discoloration, however, it is important to work with a certified professional to make sure you are a good candidate for these products as certain ingredients can cause irritation or even further darkening of spots in some individuals.
Sensitive skin is another common concern of many patients. Irritation, discomfort, bumps, inflammation, and redness are increasingly common complaints patients have. Dermatitis, rosacea, and psoriasis are all classified as sensitive skin conditions and while it is not clear what causes these conditions, over-exposure to certain climates and harsh ingredients in certain skin products are likely triggers. Chemicals, harsh exfoliants, fragrances, formaldehyde, latex, and lanolin can all cause reactions in certain individuals and should be avoided by those with sensitive skin. Individuals with sensitive skin should consult with Dr. Buckingham to develop a treatment plan tailored to treat their specific skin issues.
The Skin Care Consultation
The best way to determine the right skin care products for you is to schedule a consultation. During your skin care consultation with Dr. Buckingham, he will listen closely to your concerns, examine your skin, and have digital images taken. He will then discuss with you the best plan of action for developing the proper skin care regimen for your skin type.
I have been very pleased with every aspect of my journey so far and anticipate continued satisfaction. Thanks to everyone on staff!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many myths about skin types. Common basic skin type categories do not take into account each person’s bio-individuality. Different people experience varying degrees of dry to oily for example. Skin types range from dry to very dry and oily to very oily. Those with very oily skin can also have dehydrated skin, so the skin type is never as simple as a basic category. Products with harsh, abrasive or irritating ingredients can also trigger problems in the skin that normally would not exist. That’s why it is important to work with a reputable professional when deciding on the right products for your skin type.
Once you have determined your skin type, it is easier to decide on the right products for your skin. All skin types require the essential skin care “staples” such as proper sunscreen, cleansers, and moisturizers. Depending on your skin type, the products you need will vary.
- The Many Symptoms of Sun Damage
- 6 Skin Care Myths You Shouldn’t Believe
- Your Skin on Cigarettes: Tips for Reversing the Damage
- Can Dry Air Age Your Skin? Strategies for Fighting Wrinkles
- What are Marionette Lines?
Choosing the Right Skin Care Professional
Choosing the right skin care professional is just as important as choosing the skin care products. Why? Because a licensed, reputable skin care professional can help determine the specific dermatologic needs of the individual and prescribe the right products for your incredibly unique skin concerns.
At Buckingham Center for Facial Plastic Surgery in Austin, TX, we understand that each individual is unique. Dr. Buckingham takes this into account and helps each patient achieve lasting solutions for naturally beautiful, healthy skin. Contact us today at (512) 401-2500 to schedule your skin care consultation with Dr. Buckingham and start the process of achieving the healthy, radiant skin you deserve.
Why Choose Dr. Buckingham
- B.B.A. in Accounting from Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
- Completed his pre-medical coursework achieving a perfect 4.0 grade point average at the University of Texas in Austin.
- Received his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.
- He was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society as a junior medical student and served as the organization’s vice-president and later president.
- Graduating medical school in the top 2% of the class with highest honors, Dr. Buckingham received the Donald Duncan Memorial Scholarship in Anatomy, the Edward Randall Medal for Academic Excellence, and the Merck Manual Award.
- He then performed a general surgery internship and Otolaryngology residency at UTMB and was a nominee for the UTMB overall-outstanding resident.
- Additionally, he served as president of the UTMB House Officer Association and served two years on the Graduate Medical Education Advisory Committee and Executive Committee.